F&R’s engineering staff provides dam consulting services related to design of earth, rockfill, roller compacted concrete, and concrete gravity dams.
Specific analyses and studies which can be provided include:
- Dam Safety Inspections;
- Hazard Classification Assessments;
- Inundation Studies;
- Emergency Action Plans;
- Geotechnical Analysis;
- Dam Removal;
- Remedial Design;
- Structure Design;
- Plans and Specifications; and
- Construction Administration and Inspection.
Learn more about F&R's Dam services.
On September 4, 2012, F&R, along with our colleagues at the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, hosted a seminar for public and private dam owners. The conference, held at the Western Virginia Water Authority's Spring Hollow water treatment facility in Salem and attended by dam owners from across Virginia, was the latest in an annual series devised to educate the public on the latest developments in dam safety topics.
Speakers inlcuded F&R's own David Krisnitski, PE, CFM, a 20 year dam engineering veteran and former Facilities Manager at the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries as well as other industry experts such as the Virginia DCR's Amanda Pennington, Tom Roberts, and Michael Lang. Topics ranged from maintenance issues, dam failure analyses, floodplain management and inundation strudies, and more.
Full presentations from the various speakers are provided below.
- Dam Maintenance -- David Krisnitski, P.E., Froehling & Robertson, Inc.
- Dam Break Inundation Zone Mapping -- Alex Robinson, E.I.T., Froehling & Robertson, Inc.
- Certification & Dam Inspection -- Amanda S. Pennington, PE, Virginia DCR Region 3 Dam Safety Engineer
- Certification Requirements -- Zhengang (Michael) Wang, Ph.D., P.E., CFM, Virginia DCR Regional Dam Safety Engineer (Region 1)
- Big Bay Lake Dam Failure -- Tom Roberts, Virginia DCR Dam Safety & Floodplain Management
- General Permit for Low Hazard Potential Impounding Structures -- Robert J. VanLier, P.E., Virginia DCR Regional Dam Safety Engineer
- Impact of Low Volume Roads (Downstream of Dams) on Hazard Classification -- Robert J. VanLier, P.E., Virginia DCR Regional Dam Safety Engineer
- Kelly Barnes Dam Failure