F&R has been a part of the Regional Airport’s Master Plan implementation team since 2003, performing our core engineering services on dozens of renovation projects under a series of five year term contracts. In just the past few years, F&R has performed materials testing and special inspections for the rental car facility, terminal apron expansion, T-Hangars and bulk hangars, parking lots, blast pads. F&R has also provided geotechnical engineering services for the terminal expansions, a retention pond, and the Area 4 fly ash fill embankment on airport grounds.
Most recently, F&R provided materials testing, and special inspections services on the Terminal B expansion. The structure consists of a two-story, 9,300 square foot, L-shaped addition to the southwest corner of the existing terminal. The construction is of structural steel on a slab on grade foundation with conventional shallow footings.
F&R’s specific services included:
- Evaluation of foundation subgrade design bearing pressures prior to the placement of aggregate base course or cast-in-place concrete.
- Providing field density testing services for the site utility backfill and structural fill placed within the structural limits of the proposed building footprints.
- Performing field tests on the plastic concrete such as slump, air content, temperature, and the casting of 4” x 8” compressive strength test specimens.
- Field inspection and testing services related to structural steel, welding, bolted connections, steel joists, metal decking and light gage load bearing steel by a certified welding inspector.
- Issuance of hand-written field reports and formal reports reviewed by a professional engineer providing test results and periodic and final letters of special inspections on all disciplines.