The Gladding Residence Center project was the first phase in Residential Life and Housing’s Master Plan. The master plan was created to support VCU’s quest for distinction and in doing so aims to improve the residential experience at VCU. F&R provided materials testing services during construction of the new 12 story, approximately 1,500 student capacity residence center.
- Soils/Controlled Fill: Observing proof rolling operations of the building, parking, and roadway subgrades prior to and following the placement of structural fill and/or base stone.
- Foundation Subgrades: Evaluating the bearing at the bottom of footing excavations prior to the placement of foundation concrete.
- Cast-in-Place Concrete: Sampling structural concrete and performing field tests that include temperature, slump, air content, and the casting of compressive strength test specimens.
- Masonry: Field and laboratory testing of masonry materials prior to and during the masonry phase of construction.
- Structural Steel and Light Gage Metal Framing: Performing field observation related to structural steel, welding, bolted connections, and steel joists.